Thursday, November 17, 2005

Yoga Your Way
You may have noticed there are many different ways of practicing the same postures. This is why you may notice that each of your teachers teaches a little differently. You may also notice that your teachers also differ within their own teaching instructions. This is not meant to confuse you but rather open you up to change. With the different techniques you learn, you can then find ways of practicing that work better for your particular body, and even how you feel on the particular day of a class.
The unwritten rule of attending a yoga class is to honour the teacher by practicing how they are leading. Try the instructions they are giving you. Have an open mind. Perhaps put your mat in a different area each class. Be open to change. On that note, be open to practicing in the same manner too.
Traditionally yoga was taught one on one. It was always verbal. Sri K. Pattabhi Jois (Ashtanga Yoga) teaches the same method he was taught in India in 1927 by his guru Krishnamacharya. Jois emphasizes uninterrupted continuity in the practice, progressing to the next stage once mastery has taken place in the preparatory work. His main components for practice are vinyasa (movement timed to breathing), sweat (creating intense heat to purify the body), tristana (postures, breathing and gaze) and bandhas (muscle contractions of pelvic floor, abdomen and neck).
Krishnamacharya was also the guru of BKS Iyengar. Iyengar also teaches the centuries old Ashtanga yoga system (Eight Limbs), as taught by Krishnamacharya. He has developed props and shifted his emphasis to precision and alignment in all postures. Everyone can practice Iyengar Yoga and use the wooden blocks and straps to modify the posture for their body in order to achieve perfection in every pose. Also practitioners are aware of the sequence in which different groups of asanas have to be performed.
In your early years of being a yoga practitioner, you may try all different types of classes and many different teachers. Then you may find yourself naturally more inclined to one particular lineage (teacher’s method). If that happens, practice and enjoy the fruits of your labour. Keep at it and you will uncover your own personal practice style.
As teachers, we teach from within our own personal practice and study of yoga. Otherwise, we would be just going through the motions, saying the same cues from week to week. For me, my teaching mirrors my personal practice. Every three months or so, my practice changes a bit. My focus tends to shift to a different viewpoint or I work with a different goal. This comes from within. I go where my practice leads me and land where my study takes me. Right now, my focus is the bandhas.

I live yoga everyday, by doing some form of asana practice and reading and meditation. If all else fails, I do "Doga" with my pup Rory. She loves it when I unroll my mat. She hops right on it, rolls around, gets in my face, makes me laugh, helps me not to be so serious. She would love to come to class and meet you all.
As we can have many different focuses in one same posture, we need to set priorities. Take Triangle pose (Trikonasana), for instance. We can choose to work on lengthening the spine as the main focus. We can choose to focus on our foundation as our primary goal, noticing the strength and stability of our feet and legs. We can choose to notice the twist, or our balance, or our breath. We could stay for a longer hold and work with endurance. We could focus on the bandhas or even the feeling of lifting up in the pose.
Yoga is a gift. It is something you will have for the rest of your life. It will be with you though the good and bad. It won’t let you down if you don't let it down. It will keep you humble. It will help you in your friendships and relationships, especially the one you have with yourself.

Thank you for coming to my classes and letting me pass along some of the things yoga is teaching me. I feel honoured to be your yoga instructor.
Namaste,
Andrea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Counter